The Most Precious of Senses
Our eyes provide the most precious of our senses – sight – through which we learn about world. It has been estimated that four-fifths of our knowledge is acquired through our sight. Yet many people endanger their vision because of ignorance or carelessness.
In the Philippines, statistics on blindness are staggering:
- Approximately a million Filipinos are blind in one or both eyes. The common causes of blindness include cataract, retinal and macular diseases, optic nerve diseases, glaucoma, and trauma.
- Cataract is responsible for over 80% of blindness. Retinal and macular diseases rank a distant second. Together, they cause about 90% of cases considered legally blind.
THE CAPITOL EYE CENTER
The Capitol Medical Center (CMC) committed to provide total quality health care, has established the Capitol Eye Center to address these eye diseases and help lower the statistics of blindness. Located in the second floor of the CMC IV, the diagnostic and laser facility is equipped with the latest equipments and instruments.
» Oculoplastic / Cosmetic Surgery
- Upper / Lower Lid Blepharoplasty
- Brow Lift / Midface Lift
- Ptosis Repair
- Ectropion / Entropion Repair
- Botox Injection
- Excision of Eyelid Mass
- Lid Reconstruction / Scar Revision
» Low Vision
- Anterior Segment Procedures
- Pterygium Excision
- Conjuctival Flap
- Corneal Transplant
- Repair of Traumatic Eye Injury
» Refractive Surgery
- Extracapsular Cataract Extraction
- Small – Incision Cataract Surgery
- YAG Capsulotomy
- Conductive Keratoplasty
- Refraction / Contact Lens Fitting
- Applanation Tonometry
- Disc Photography / Optic Nerve Evaluation
- Automated Perimetry
- Laser Surgery
- Diabetic Retinopathy Screening
- Hypertensive Retinopathy Screening
- Panretinal Retinopathy Photocoagulation
- Focal Laser / Panretinal Photocoagulation
- Fundus Photography
- Flurescein Angiography
» Flourescein Angiography and Fundus (Retina) Photo (Zeiss Visucam)
- Digital photo imaging of retinal diseases (e.g. diabetic retinopathy, age related macular degeneration, etc.)
» Automated Visual Field Analyzer
- Documentation of visual field changes seen in glaucoma and other neurologic diseases
» Argon Laser Photo Coagulation
(Opthalas 532 Eyelite)
- Useful tool in management of various retinal pathologies like diabetic retinopathy, retinal tear, glaucoma pathologies, etc.
» YAG Laser treatment using the Alcon 3000
- Useful tool in management of angle – closure glaucoma and posterior capsule opacification after cataract surgery.
» B Scan Ultra Sonography
- Ultrasound imaging of the posterior segment of the eye with lens or vitreous opacities.
» A Scan Biometry Reading (Ocuscan)
- Used for determining the intraocular lens implant power for patients who are candidates for cataract surgery
» Indirect Ophthalmoscopy
» Automated Refraction
» Phacoemulsification Machine (Legacy 2000)
» Leica Operating Microscope (M 840)
» Accrus Vitrectomy Machine